Fixing Skype "Unable to Connect" Error


The other day, I was requested by my aunt to fix her Skype. She said that the application refused to sign in, and that a sad smiley kept appearing as she repeatedly clicked the "Try Again" button. So, okay. I've done these small maintenance before, how hard could it be? Maybe there's a glitch in the connection, or that it asks for a new update (although she said that she had updated it. She even had uninstalled and re-installed the program. Still, it refused to connect). She even brought it to her acquaintance which sells computers and told me that he had failed fixing it. He even resorted to last-resort alternative: reset and reinstall Windows. I thought it was ridiculous. Honestly, just because one program failing, I have to lose all my data and start over? Jesus, I would rather abandon that one program. Anyway, with overconfidence that I could fix whatever the problem was, I paid my aunt a visit.

The Problem
And well… Have you been put in a situation where everything you thought was wrong? Well, it was that. The computer wasn't that old (a 15" Centrino 2 laptop. Probably one of the best during its time) and it solidly runs Windows 7. The Internet connection was solid (I tried two available browsers and they connected to the Internet just fine)… and the latest update has been installed. So, what could've gone wrong?

Okay, before that… Let's review what you can do to fix that error, including the one that I did. Head past the break to find out!

1. Make Sure Your Internet is Active

An interesting game. However, please keep in mind that this means
you're disconnected from the Internet.
This might sound dumb and underestimated. However, some people tend to forget this. Due to the easiness to connect to your home Wi-Fi, sometimes you might not notice if your Internet is down (even though the little connection bottom on your notification bar says you're connected). Try to browse a few sites and playing a small YouTube video to make sure your Internet connection is active.

2. Update to the Latest Version of Skype (or Reinstall Skype Altogether)

Skype requesting update
If you're very sure your Internet connection is active, try updating to the latest version of Skype. The latest updates sometimes fixes critical bugs found in previous version, which may include your constant failure in trying to sign into the service. If there is no update, you can also try re-download and re-install Skype. Uninstalling then reinstalling might sometimes fix this problem (a corrupt critical file, etc.).

3. Configure Your Security Settings

This combination is a must for a secure computer.
They, however, sometimes also cause problems.
Okay, let's move on to a more advanced level. In the Skype forum, when I was browsing for solution, I found that another common reason is that your antivirus software is blocking your Skype. This normally shouldn't happen (especially if you're relying on Windows' built-in solution like Windows Defender, Windows Security Essentials, or Windows Firewall) but it's worth checking out.

I'll give you an example. Try turning off your antivirus for a short while (the lowest setting is usually 5 minutes) then restart Skype. If Skype  works fine, then your antivirus is the problem. Try scanning the app folder to make sure it's safe. If it's safe, add Skype to your exclusion list. If it's not, try installing then reinstalling Skype. Repeat the steps. If your antivirus keeps detecting threat in your Skype folder, I'd rather change antivirus, or there's something very wrong with your computer…

Application configuration in Windows Firewall
Next is the firewall. Check the rules and try finding Skype. If it doesn't exist, I recommend creating a new rule which will allow Skype to connect to the Internet. Unfortunately, each firewall has its own way of blocking/allowing rules, so I can't guide you this time.

Firewall configuration in Bitdefender Total Security 2016

4. Activate TLS1.0 in Your Internet Explorer

Like all messaging platform, Skype uses a secure connection protocol to make sure your chat stays secure and private. I found this unique solution in a website. Strangely enough, this setting should be activated by default (I've checked all my PCs and all of them have this option activated). However, my aunt's computer has this option deactivated. Once it's activated, voila! Skype connects just fine, and it works. So, chances are, your fix might involve this.

Make sure the "TLS 1.0" entry is checked
To check, head out to Internet Explorer, find Internet Options. Click on "Advanced" tab, then scroll until you find "TLS1.0", and make sure it's checked. Click "Apply", and try starting Skype again, that should fix your problem.

Okay, Folks. I guess that's all I can tell you for now. Those are the common fixes to solve "Unable to Connect" error in your PCs. If you still fail, I'm sorry, but you need to head out to Skype support forum to search for solutions. I'll do my best to help, but I can't promise anything. The problem with free software (though owned by a very big company) is that they often don't have a dedicated support. They just rely on the community to help each other out. While this works in many situations, sometimes it doesn't.

Anyway, as always, thanks for reading and I hope this solves your, or your friend's, problem. If you have any questions, sound them off in the comments and I'll reply within 24 hours (I still don't understand how Blogger's comment email notices work, so there might be some delay). Finally, thanks for visiting and I'm looking forward to your next visit! :D


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOLT! 4G Mobile Wi-Fi Review

Which WinRAR Compression Do You Need? [GUIDE]

Logitech mk240 Mouse Combo Review